On Tuesday, September 20, a mostly sunny afternoon and National Voter Registration Day, the IHM Peacemakers and friends gathered on the front lawn of the Motherhouse to Promote the Vote. Voter Not Politicians Field Coordinator Rita Turner- Sheerin and Voter Not Politicians Team Leader Sharon McNeil were the featured speakers. At a time when democracy is in peril, the gathering enabled neighbors and passersby to know that we support democracy and promote voting rights. The hour-long event included prayer, reflection and song. The lawn was adorned with many Promote the Vote signs and banners.
Now that Proposal 2 is on the ballot, we encourage Michigan voters to vote yes on 2. Proposal 2 would:
- Recognize the fundamental right to vote without harassing conduct;
- Require military or overseas ballots to be counted if postmarked by Election Day;
- Continue current law that provides voters the right to verify identity with a photo ID or signed statement;
- Provide the voter right to a single application to vote absentee in all elections;
- Require state-funded absentee-ballot drop boxes, and postage for absentee applications and ballots;
- Provide that only election officials may conduct post-election audits;
- Require nine days of early in-person voting;
- Allow donations to fund election administration, which must be disclosed;
- Require canvass boards to certify election results based only on the official records of votes cast.